Sunday, February 9, 2014

S'mores Bars

Today was a really good day. I woke up to rain and then went out to breakfast with one of my best friends. We had the most delicious melt in your mouth pancakes and then we went to the mall, Sur La Table and Target before coming home. But a short while after being home I felt sick and I craved comfort food. I wanted soup, stew, mashed potatoes and gravy, milkshakes, anything to make me feel better. I settled on noodle soup but I knew I wanted something sweeter. I thought about driving to the grocery store and buying ice cream or some gummy candy but my mom took my rain boots, I was done spending money, and I sure as hell wasn't going back into the rain. I also remembered I bought the ingredients I needed to make s'more bars. I love this dessert.
I've been making these s'mores bars for a couple of years now and they've always been a favorite of mine. They are super easy to make and they don't take long to prepare and bake. I found the recipe on Crepes of Wrath and I basically follow the entire recipe but I change a few things up. If you wanna find out how to make these delicious s'mores bars then keep on reading!






To make these bars you will need:

-an 11x7 square baking dish
-1 stick of butter
-¼ cup of brown sugar 
-½ cup of sugar
-1 egg
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-1 ⅓ cups of all purpose flour
-8 crushed graham crackers
-1 tsp of baking powder
-¼ tsp of salt
-4 chocolate bars
-1.5 jars of marshmallow fluff (It has to be fluff, not marshmallows, the marshmallows don't turn out well in the oven and the flavor is not the same)


Tip: Before baking it's important to have all of your ingredients pre-measured and set up in your kitchen so you aren't running around, possibly forgetting a step or ingredient, or realizing you don't have everything you need!


  1. Preheat your oven to 350* and butter or Pam your baking dish. 
  2. Crush your graham crackers. I put them in a freezer ziploc and smash them with a hammer or a mallet until they are crumb texture
  3. Cream the butter and sugars in your stand mixer or handheld until light and fluffy.
  4. Add in the egg and vanilla extract and mix.
  5. In a separate bowl combine the flour, crushed graham crackers, salt, and baking powder. 
  6. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until it crumbs together
  7. Take half of the dough mixture and press it onto the bottom of your baking dish. 
  8. Lay the chocolate bars equally across the dough and lightly press down
  9. Scoop out the one and a half jars of marshmallow fluff onto the chocolate bars and with a flat icing spatula or butter knife, spread across chocolate bars and spread to each end of the dish. You might have to hold the chocolate bars down with your free hand while spreading because the fluff picks things up and is like glue. Seriously if you can tell me how to spread marshmallow fluff and not make it look like a 3 year old did it you are an amazing talented person and I want to know the secret.
  10. Crumble the rest of the dough over the fluff or press into flat, small pieces and place over the fluff. I prefer the crumb method because it's a nice texture. 
  11. Place into the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown. 
  12. You can even let them fully cool or dig in while the fluff and chocolate bars are still warm and ooze out. Both are extremely delicious. 
I honestly think they are best the next day or a few hours later when the chocolate solidifies again but I never have the patience to not have a piece the moment it's cooled down. They taste delicious with a glass of milk and when you're about to run out the door and you need a snack on the go! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, three years later

Weeks after my last post my world was turned upside down, this will be explained in a future blogpost. Since then I've left jobs, gotten...